Job Title: Senior System Developer
Department: I.T Systems and Innovations
Reports to: Software Development Manager
Job Location: Head Quarters, Kampala, Uganda
Job Opening: 30th November 2021
Application Deadline: Open
Our mission is to provide financing and support to help self-employed entrepreneurs own income-generating assets. We currently have a physical presence in 17 locations in Uganda and 1 location in Kenya. we empower customers unable to access formal credit and have financed over 30,000 customers.
About this Role: In this position, we are searching for a knowledgeable systems Developer, with experience working in agile environments, on multiple projects, and in teams who will develop smooth running and innovative web applications and software products. This Systems developer role will be essential to the Systems and Innovations Team, allowing us to maintain existing systems and build upon the ever-improving systems. The role is suited for an individual who has a passion for innovation, continuous growth, works well in semi-structured and dynamic environments, and understands the impact of what they deliver on the overall growth of the organization Job Summary: The Systems Developer is responsible for developing software to improve efficiency for both internal and external customers. The job holder should exhibit excellent teamwork in coordinating with other stakeholders on all tasks; These include but are not limited to developers, consultants, project managers, user departments, and direct reports (if any) The job holder will perform the following duties:
• Identifying and suggesting various opportunities to improve efficiency and functionality for existing systems
• Identify opportunities for integrations of various tools/systems to achieve a better user experience
• Development of concepts in the company’s sandbox for presentation to the rest of the team.
• Systematic Documentation of system requirements (both business requirements and user stories)
• Understanding requirements from a business perspective while contributing to developing and refining them.
• Writing clean, reusable, and testable code
• Following Agile principles during development
• Optimal design in algorithms
• Testing systems at all levels i.e. Unit tests, Integration tests, Behavioural tests, Stress testing
• Make use of code repos and versioning tools
• Write and implement software solutions that integrate different systems and web APIs, and server-side logic
• Successful rollout of projects to production
• Monitoring of system performance
• Putting in place backup and rollback strategies
• Ensure uptime for the existing systems by employing creative ways of maintaining or improving on them.
• Implement best practices in systems maintenance e.g. backup scripts, log file management, server, and resource monitoring, code refactoring, etc.
• Implementing data security and protection Other Duties. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Preferred Skills, knowledge & abilities
• In-depth knowledge of either python (web) frameworks (e.g. Django, Flask, Pandas, Twisted, Numpy/Pandas,iPython, Matplotlib) OR C# Development (MVC 5)
• Familiarity with web stack and underlying protocols and languages (TCP, UDP, HTTP, XML, JSON )
• Database Management Systems (Postgres, MS SQL Server)
• Understanding of general coding concepts e.g. object-oriented development, model view controller, Azure DevOps, rest API, Object Relational Mappers.
• Proficient understanding of code versioning and deployment tools (such as Git, Bit bucket, Mercurial SVN or Ansible, JIRA)
• Comfortable with either Linux and Windows Server (MS Azure)
• Excellent time management and multitasking skills.
• Timely Delivery of tasks
• Good communication skills
• Teamwork and professionalism
• At least a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Software Engineering or relevant fields. Preferred experience:
• At least 3 years experience in Python or C# or any other related platforms. What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: Someone who does this job can be promoted to; Senior systems developer, Software Applications Manager, Project Manager, Data Manager or Head of I.T Systems and Innovations Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. we offer competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.
Meaningful Work: our work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial development. Join us!